- This event has passed.
Making Change Happen: SFU Sustainablity Course
January 20, 2012, 9:00 am–January 21, 2012, 5:30 pm$600
Making Change Happen: Building Commitment to Create Sustainability (Core)
$600 / SUST913-VA1121
Friday– Saturday, January 20-21, 2012
9 am–5:30 pm, SFU Vancouver
How do leaders move sustainability forward effectively? How do they overcome barriers to change? Whether you’re a skilled sustainability champion or relative newcomer, this course will enhance your ability to influence and promote organizational and social change in support of sustainability goals. It moves from a broad theoretical overview to a detailed exploration of the skills and qualities of effective change agents, as well as their relations to other actors.
Instructors/speakers: Vanessa Timmer, Resourceful Solutions Consulting; and Dagmar Timmer, One Earth Initiative Society; Ann McAfee, City Choices Consulting; Bob Purdy, Fraser Basin Council; Dave Hocking and Gordon Inglis, Metro Vancouver
- Explore the characteristics of sustainability leaders, and learn how they manage conflict, address fear and power, and speak to critics
- Develop the skills you need to become an effective sustainability champion
- Learn tools to promote organizational and social change in support of sustainability goals
- Understand facilitation and systems thinking tools for making change happen
- Balance discussions of theory with practice, drawing on teaching cases and the experiences of class participants and guest speakers
- Apply what you’ve learned to case studies through group work