British Columbia Building Performance Study
This province-wide study, undertaken by Light House in partnership with the Building Owners and Managers Association of BC (BOMA BC), examines the energy performance of 281 buildings from across BC, including 147 BOMA BESt certified buildings and 134 non-certified buildings.
View a brief powerpoint presentation on the study here.
Using 40 performance indicators and EnergyStar Portfolio Manager, the study brings together real industry data with analytical expertise to establish baseline performance data on BOMA BESt buildings from all municipal jurisdictions in the Province. The study identifies the relationship between ratings systems, building performance and how they are meeting public policy and regulatory objectives.
Our findings have multiple applications and will assist municipalities and owners gaining a better understanding of:
- The advantages of seeking a green building certification for existing buildings
- The benefits of benchmarking the performance of buildings against other similar buildings
- The performance differences between certified and non-certified buildings
- The implications of different building forms on energy use
- The effectiveness of different building code provisions
This study was completed by Light House in partnership with the Building Owners and Managers Association of BC (BOMA BC), Metro Vancouver and the City of Vancouver, with support from the City of Surrey and Capital Regional District.